Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Because we need it..

 Last night I got the skirting added to the sides and closed up the base deck. Here's to hoping nothing happens to the lights inside haha.. That would be uncool to say the least. I added a little section in the center to allow some of the light out but other wise it's should be stopping any other light leaking out other then where I want it.
 I was going to go with card stock for the skirting but I didn't think it would have the flexibility I needed so I went with Kydex. Kydex is a moldable plastic that can be shaped with the help of a heat gun. I've used it before when making train gardens and figured it would work well for this. Cut it to size and then heated it up and shaped it. I had to use super glue to adhere it and let me tell you, I've never been so happy to have the spray activator! That made the job nowhere near as bad as I thought it was going to be.

 Here's the Kydex attached but not primed. I sanded it all down and then primed it with the bone color.
 But it needed to match to applied spackle yet again..  every time I apply it I feel like a nut haha.. smearing a mess all over the stuff I just worked on but after it's sanded it comes out looking good!

Once it's sanded it will be down to painting the deck and blending the edge back in. I wasn't sure how long the skirting was going to take. Thankfully it only took a few hours and came out looking like I wanted it to!