I needed to build a Predator for my Dark Angel army and figured I'd put in the extra time to magnetize it. And since I'm putting in the extra time to do that I might as well take some pictures and make a how to. So here it is. If you have ever thought about magnetizing a vehicle it's a good idea and can save you some money in the long run. If you go for what you see is what you get then it will allow you to load the tank out with whatever you like instead of buying two and building both (standard) builds. That's costly and most likely you'd be running one build more then another, so the other tank would just sit. Plus who knows, maybe one day you'll play a friendly game and want HBs but the next day you'll be playing a Tourney and want LAS. Plus a weapon might get blown off during a game, now you can remove it. It can all be yours and MORE! with the magical power of magnets.... haha.. sorry was getting in the groove and felt like I was selling a new car or something.. so lets move on to the How To
Magnets - I get mine from K&J Magnets but many places sell them. Below are the ones I use the most.
D201-N52 .. 1/8 x 1/32 .. is the size I use for Backpacks
D41-N52 .. 1/4 x 1/16 .. Vehicle Bases/Flying Bases
D21 .. 1/8 x 1/16 .. Deep uses (heavy metal packs or mini to bases)
Some plastic card (not very much)
** A little note I want to mention before we start. Let the glue on the magnets dry for a few hours after applying, these magnets are very strong and if you don't let it form a very strong bond they will just pop off to stay with their buddy on the other piece**
Magnetizing the Predator Sponsons:
The Sponsons are a pretty simple affair. Build up the tank to the point of attaching the side doors/sponsons.
1) Glue the top plate of the sponson to the door as normal
2) Glue the guns together (HBs and Las and the Turret guns as well) DO NOT USE THE CENTER PIN as you normally would. Leave that piece out.
3) Now for the center pins, cut below the combined circle and square piece. See the diagram below.
5) Now it's time for the guns. I went with a larger Magnet more for the look then for strength so you should be able to use the same sizes. Up to you. Just glue the magnet over the slot on top of the guns. Make sure you have the correct facing on the magnets. I use a sharpie to mark them before gluing.
Magnetize the Predator Turret:
1) You are going to glue the turret together without placing the weapon into it. But not yet.
1" x 3/8". You'll need to trim the top of the side with the screen/port/whatever it is on it.
8) You're Done.. you now have a magnetized Predator.
I hope this is helpful, and this is only a how I did it. I'm sure there plenty of ways to do the same thing. Also don't blame me if you cut something and are having problems getting it to work haha .. It's a pretty easy build just don't rush it! Take your time and let the glue do it's stuff.