Friday, November 18, 2011

Dusk Wolves

Yeah I've been thinking about making a sort of pre heresy army...

Idea behind the army
I detest traitors, it doesn’t matter what the situation is. I cannot stand the idea of a trusted comrade turning his back on his brothers/sisters and either condemning them to death or taking part in the betrayal itself. One of the reasons I watched Saving Private Ryan once and won’t again, Oppum that punk just let his friends die and that irked me to no end. I don’t know why if bothers me so much even in books or movies but it does.

I started reading the Horus Heresy books knowing full well it would be hard for me to finish them as betrayal is obviously the main story behind it but I wanted to check them out. The fluff in 40K has changed time and again but it appears this is going to be the new approved storyline. The first book is great but as the series goes on I started getting more and more annoyed. The glaring inconsistencies in the Astarte’s character being the worst in the list of issues. Space Marines are supposed to be hard as nails in body and mind; they are the greatest the human race has to offer. And in most cases they are, they are built up in the book to be beasts on the battlefield and incredible tacticians. The crusade has washed over the galaxy reclaiming worlds without issue. Yet a horribly laid out and orgestraited plan to turn the Warmaster happens in under a year. He even knows who screwed him over (and is lying to him about who he is) at one point before he willingly betrays the Emperor. That doesn’t make any sense to me but that is a gripe for another time.
The main thought I always had was there is no way every single guy in the chapter would turn traitor. And in the books they detail what happens to the loyalists in a pretty believable way. And while reading it I was thinking it would be cool to make up a SM legion/chapter of all the loyalist marines. Some of them did live though Istavan III and what if they swore revenge on their brothers for their betrayal. The way the story is going it looks like some formed the Grey Knights but what if their geneseed were harvested and stored and the leaders of the loyalist resistance wouldn’t be put down so easily. With help they reformed and rebuilt what they could.

From that idea I started to think it would be cool to use the four legions that were betrayed and combine them into one force. They wouldn’t be large enough to form four separate chapters but together they could forge a strong force each focusing on what they were known for. So I started to break down what they would be and who would fill what.

So Far:
The list would be more for story and concept than being competitive so how it fits is more of a consideration then how it will perform.
Luna Wolves – Stern Guard as they were considered the best of the Legions.
World Eaters – Assault Marines, that just plain makes sense.
Death Guard - They were the hard as nails do it all guys so Tacitcals would make sense. But I’d like to mix them all in the Tac squads.
Emperor’s Children – They were known for their precision abilities and heavy weapon usage so Dev Squads. And I was thinking of using a contemptor Dread as Rylanor.

Color - They would most likely be a white color and would have shoulder patterns and maybe trim to represent their former Legion. To remember their roots but to separate themselves from the betrayers. Maybe color the right arm like the original Dusk Raiders, and shoulders.
Army Composition
I was thinking of using a counts as Pedro Kantor for his abilities. Adding Stubborn and Stern as Troops.
A counts as Cato Sicarius as well for his abilities.. Surprise,. These guys have been around a long time and would have that intelligence. Using his leadership, these guys stood up for the Emperor and themselves even though they knew they were going to die. I don’t see them running. The boosted Tac Squad.. they have the skills and it could be from whatever chapter depending on what was added.

Or
The more I’ve been looking at it a counts as Space Wolves army. Blood Claws would make good World Eaters thought wouldn’t be happy with the WS3 but I think the craziness of their attacks could make up for it. Bjorn would be a good Rylanor and if I went with Loken or other respected leader saying he lived and carried on three SW HQs would up nicely. Long Fangs shooting could be a good example of the Emperor’s Children’s perfection of battle. I wouldn’t be using any wolf riders or rune priests, unless I wanted to throw a 1K Son Psyker in there. But that wasn’t really in my plans.

Still undecided at the moment but thinking about both.
As for a name I was toying with either just using Legion or something from the Legions old days like Dusk Raiders or maybe mixing it up to include more than one chapter Dusk Wolves. I’m liking Dusk Wolves as I think it sound cool and makes sense in many ways. The Death Guards original name (Dusk Raiders), adding in Luna Wolves and dusk would be like the twilight of their legions in their opinions. Plus I could use some of the cool Space Wolf add on bits. Actually as I was writing this I was thinking more and more about it. I think Dusk Wolves gets the win, even made up their logo. It’s just a combo if the Luna Wolves and Death Guard Circle.

I've been looking at all the new FW Heresy Mini's coming out and was thinking it would be cool to make a combo army. They would take great pride in their old equipment but would also be using newer Marks of armor. Mini's I'm looking at ..

Deimos Pattern Rhino (FW )
Land Raider Proteus ( FW)
Imperial Eagle – LR Doors, Rhino Doors and Rear (FW)
Mark 5 Assault Squad (FW)
Mark III Squad (FW)
Mark IV Squad (FW)
Special Weapon Pack
Heavy Weapon Pack
Umbra Bolters
Relic Contemptor Dread – w/ CC Claw/LAS/HB


That’s it for now… but more to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment